In Three Pines it harvesting time for apples. Fresh made apple butter is not difficult if you make it in the crock pot. I've included the recipe for you who want to try it. This recipe makes 7 jelly jars.
Cook time on low is 12 hours.
Cook time on high is less but must stir often.
Supplies: 7 jelly jars with rings and lids or freezer containers
Cold water packer or large stock pot (wrap jars with dishtowels before placing in pan without wire basket)
6 pounds apples (variety of cooking applies)
3 tsp cinnamon
l 1/2 sugar
1/4 tsp cloves
1. Peel, core, slice apples and put apples, sugar, and spices in a large bowl to mix dry ingredients.
2. Once blended, put apples in 4 quart crock pot, or larger, cover and cook on high 1 hour. Stir.
3. Remove the lid and cook on low (stirring occasionally) until apples reach spreadable consistency and is dark brown in color.
4. Transfer to hot sterilized jars - Do not fill past headspace line. (Or into your freezer container to cool. Place in freezer when cold.
5. Process 10 mins in water bath. Carefully remove jars and place on dishtowels on counter to cool. When cool , place on shelves if you used new rings and lids. Place in freezer if you used odd jars without sealable lids.
Your friend Ives
Copyright © 2020 Faye Henderson - All Rights Reserved.